During the current Covid-19 pandemic AMDEA members are doing their best to ensure that key appliances can still be delivered, repaired or replaced. AMDEA has sought advice from the Government on how our members can continue to operate safely.
The Government has confirmed that service engineers can still travel to work, provided they are well and neither they nor any of their household are self-isolating. However, he also states that home visits should be limited to essential appointments and if operational staff are required to enter a property
they should take the following steps to minimise the risk of infection:
- If a customer has symptoms, field staff should avoid close contact by trying to maintain two metres (three steps) distance from the customer during the visit.
- Avoid touching or shaking hands.
- If feasible, a customer with symptoms should be asked to remain in a separate room from where operational staff are working.
- Staff should decline offers of food and drink from the customer during the visit.
- Staff should wash their hands regularly with soap and water, or use hand sanitiser, including when making home visits.
Please note that AMDEA members will also check several times whether anyone in the household has symptoms – once when the call is booked and again before arriving at the home. Even where everyone seems to be well, the engineer will still ask consumers to maintain a distance of 2m and they will also wipe down all surfaces that they touch before and after carrying out any work. Staff are also instructed to wash their work clothing at the end of the day. Where necessary they will make arrangements for customers to sign and pay for work remotely.
Our members are doing everything they can to keep you and their staff as safe as possible. Please understand that there may be a shortage of engineers and jobs will be prioritised – both to help those most in need and to service the most necessary appliances first.
We are also providing this link to the official NHS advice https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ and to the official Government advice: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
COVID-19 information for businesses: https://www.amdea.org.uk/covid-19-information-for-businesses/